Friday, August 26, 2011

Beets, beets, they're good for your heart...

Beets, well I'm not sure if they are good for your heart, but I'm pretty sure they are good for you. Often people tell me they love beets but so seldom do I hear people like the greens. I'm a big fan of eating the whole plant.  The greens taste amazing quickly sauteed with some sea salt, and for the root well I have a couple variations on the same recipe but here's the family fave for this summer.
Beets with Avocado and Feta
1.Quarter 6 med. size beets and boil till soft (8-10 minutes) then plunge in cold water and peel off skin.
2. Cut up about 1/4 cup chives add to cooled beets
3. 1/2 cup cut up celery
4. Cube up one cup of Feta firm cheese add to cooled beets
5. One whole firm avocado cut into small cubes add to cooled beets 
6. Add sea salt ( huge fan of Celtic sea salt) and fresh ground pepper to taste



1 comment:

  1. I don't know if beets are good for the heart either but the color suggests that they are! I do know what they ARE good for which I've learned since the Fukushima meltdown. Believe it or not we have all been effected by higher rad levels and beets help protect your body from the effects of radiation. And they're super yummy, so eat'em up!

    ReplyDelete