Monday, June 11, 2012

Basil

I LOVE basil, it's not that I'm a huge pesto fan, although I am, I just love the smell of it. I also love all different the varieties you can grow of basil. Many of you are familiar with the Italian variety Genovese. It's bright green and super delish on tomatoes and mozzarella, but the more uncommon varieties are what really spark my interest. This year I have three varieties in the garden, Italian Genovese, Blue African basil and Thai basil. Each has a distinct fragrance, texture and taste. Blue African basil is coarse and woody but the scent is fantastic. It closely resembles it's cousin the mint plant. Genovese is smooth and soft and very delicate with a more mild flavor. Thai basil smells almost like licorice and has a great taste that compliments shrimp dishes. Here's an easy recipe as posted on my friends blog http://www.myjudythefoodie.com/2012/06/a-homegrown-experience-making-fresh-pesto/ My Judy the Foodie. Check it out! I helped her with her garden planning and she's promised some good recipes in return. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment